A Palestinian artist draws a painting inside the damaged house of Gaza artist, Duniana Al-Amour, who had been killed during Israel-Gaza fighting, in Khan Younis in the southern Gaza Strip, August 23, 2022. (REUTERS/Ibraheem Abu Mustafa)
GAZA: The Ministry of Public Works and Housing in the Gaza Strip hailed the efforts of the State of Qatar in the reconstruction of the areas affected by the aggression of Israeli occupation forces last year, noting that the rate of rebuilding progress has so far reached 40%.
Undersecretary of the Ministry of Public Works and Housing in Gaza Naji Sarhan said that Gaza Strip needs $3 billion to complete the development and reconstruction processes, emphasizing that the recent aggression unleashed by the Israeli occupation forces on Gaza, which lasted for three days, caused the destruction of 25 housing units, including partial devastation of 80 units, wherein 2,000 residential units have been partially affected.
He added that the ministry has almost completed the assessment process for the damages, while the damaged residential units due to the latest Israeli aggression on Gaza have yet to be reconstructed.
He said that no construction operation has been initiated yet to further build 1,000 residential units from the total number of 1,700 units that were damaged during the Israeli aggression last year to be added to the 1,000 housing units from previous wars, bringing the total housing units damaged that have not been reconstructed so far to roughly 2,300.
Naji Sarhan added that there is a deficit of more than 100,000 housing units in Gaza, noting that the sector needs 14,000 housing units annually to equalize the demographic growth, indicating that there are roughly 70,000 housing units that were partially damaged by the wars of 2014, 2021 and 2022, at a time when other sectors in the strip were damaged at a cost of more than USD 800 million, including the economy, agriculture and infrastructure.